Saturday, October 23, 2010

Want Books? (The Strain)

Want Books? is a weekly meme hosted at Chachic’s Book Nook and features released books that you want but you can’t have for some reason. It can be because it’s not available in your country, in your library or you don’t have the money for it right now.
Sometimes I just really want lose myself in a thrilling/chilling read. Viral pandemic? Vampires? Guillermo del Toro? I was salivating from the get-go. I haven't read Richard Matheson's I am Legend but The Strain sounds like a more action-packed, less introspective read. Where Mr Matheson's novel deals with the after-effects of the pandemic on one survivor, the del Toro-Hogan collaboration chronicles the spread of the virus as it happens, how the world falls apart, how a war with the vampires begins, which all somehow makes me think of The Stand meets Y the Last Man. Very promising.

(Also, check out their very cool website.)

I've seen copies of the second book in the trilogy, The Fall but have yet to see this one. I've been avoiding picking up interesting-looking fantasy titles because they're part of a series, but looking at how fast-paced The Strain seems, I don't have the same problems with uh, sinking my teeth into it.

2 comments:

Chachic said...

It's weird that you've seen the second book around but you haven't seen this one. Did you ask Fully Booked if they have stocks in other branches? Because you can ask them to have it transferred to your preferred branch if they have it somewhere else. :)

dementedchris said...

I think because The Fall is the newer book, it's on their main display tables while The Strain is buried elsewhere. :) The Fully Booked staff is always so nice to have books transferred but unfortunately, it's too late for me to have anything transferred since I'm leaving tomorrow. Maybe when I return na lang! :)