First is In My Mother's House by Filipino-Chinese author Joni Cham. The book was awarded the Special Jury Prize in the Novel Category (Premio Jose) at the Premio Thomas: UST Quadricentennial Literary Prize.
From a quote by J. Neil Garcia:
Here is an incisive and at times merciless unpacking of a troubled mother-daughter relationship, complicated by the heady cultural dynamic attending “Chineseness” and all that it implies in a morally repressive, ritually pious and middle-class Philippines.
In My Mother's House is only available via Central Books, which has three branches in Metro Manila.
Next is Unseen Moon by another multi-awarded author and poet, Eliza Victoria, whose genre works move between the realms of horror, science fiction, and fantasy.
Ghosts in a mansion. A home invasion. A group of friends haunted by a murder. An unlikely friendship, a dead body in an abandoned house. Unseen Moon (ebook edition) collects four suspenseful stories by award-winning author Eliza Victoria.
Unseen Moon is available as e-book on Amazon and Smashwords, though the digital version only contains four stories. You can get a print version from Amazon that includes the fifth story, "The Viewless Dark" or you can win it here.
Both books are not only signed by their respective authors, but also come with a special bookmark each.
1. Leave a comment telling me more about the last book you read that was written by a Filipino author.
2. You may only enter (and win) the contest once. Multiple posts/comments will only count as one entry.
3. Winners will be drawn randomly. There will be one (1) winner for In My Mother's House and one (1) for Unseen Moon. Prizes will be distributed randomly as well.
4. The contest will run until June 22 (Saturday), and will be announced then. (Sorry, I don't have people's email addresses so you'll have to visit the blog again to find out if you've won.)
5. This giveaway is only available to residents of the Philippines. Prizes will be shipped out using the courier of my choice.
6. In case the winner doesn’t respond within a week of the announcement, I reserve the right to draw a new winner.
7. If you don't win, well... do yourself a favor and read another Filipino book when you can! Hooray for Filipino novels!