Monday, August 29, 2011

ReaderCon/Filipino Friday: A Book Lover Outside NCR

As a countdown to our 1st ReaderCon, I'm joining the other Pinoy bloggers in doing this Filipino Friday meme. Every Friday, we're asked to share our answers on different questions, and this week, we're taking on what it's like to be a book lover in the Philippines.

I don't usually find new books in Aklan. Yup, I live outside of Manila, where the nearest city is an entire province away. It was only last year when Book Sale opened its first branch at the Gaisano Mall. Imagine how thrilling that was for me! It certainly replaced those days when I'd get my secondhand books from a few shelves at a local bookstore.

Still, I don't find it too hard to get the books I want. It used to be really frustrating when I was younger, but now I just wait for my next trip to Manila or Iloilo to find the latest titles that have caught my eye. If they're unavailable then, I try to shop online through Book Depository. When I visit bookstores outside of the country, I immediately take note of the titles I like that I can't seem to find in Manila. But all things considered, I'm still good with what we have.

Sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds (I once had to wait for a long time for a Ted Chiang title to reach an affordable amount before I could buy it) but with a little patience, good things will still come.


The ReaderCon is presented together with Vibal Publishing House, Inc, and sponsors Primetrade Asia, Flipside Digital Content, and Scholastic.

15 comments:

Chachic said...

Oh wow, I can't imagine not living in NCR. I should stop complaining about the availability of books in Manila because it's so much harder to get them in the provinces. I'm glad you go on frequent trips so you don't have to worry about getting the books that you want. Just curious, how long does Book Depository take to ship books when you order? The last time I ordered, it took a month or so for my books to arrive.

Anonymous said...

Shoutout to Aklan! I remember staying there for more than a week and I wasn't able to find books at all. I brought a couple of books with me (I distinctly remember a Chabon) instead. The new Book Sale branch is very good news.

Provinces are definitely commerical inroads that booksellers should take advantage of.

dementedchris said...

@Chachic
Yup, I've learned to take what I can get! Book Depository usually takes about a month or so too. :) I think it takes longer for the books to arrive to the province, but quicker from the post office to the house. :D

@Fanarchist
It's always a good idea to bring A LOT of books -- or you can borrow from me if you're in the area! ;P Haven't been to a lot of Book Sales in Manila recently so I may not be a good judge, but I thought that most of the books here a little more expensive than the ones I remember in Manila. I got a few that were priced at P45 but most of them cost more than P100. How does that compare to Manila rates?

Narj said...

Dude, were you able to check that second hand book racks just inside the Royal Supermart? I was able to score alot of sci fi classics there.

I'm from Aklan too!

Celina said...

I remember seeing you at Fully Booked one time with a whole stack of books to bring back to Aklan!

Are there any local couriers (2go, Air21) that deliver to your area?

dementedchris said...

@narj
Abo pa katong manami sa Royal; matsa sankiri eon makaron :( Sa Thumbelina kag sa Blue Star pa kato ako ga-bakae! Old school haha.

@Cel
Yup, that was one of those times! My last visit, I went to FB MoA, High Street, GB5... stock kung stock! Local couriers deliver here so it's usually no problem.

BTW, do you remember what I last ordered from you? I remember tagging something on Multiply but now I can't remember what it was! Hahaha!

Narj said...

Huo abo pa kato pinakyaw ko abi hehehe... May nakita man ako sa Thumbelina ag Blue Star pero mas ok ro Book Sale the last time nag oli ako ina ko Xmas. Hidlaw ko eon ro Kalibo!

dementedchris said...

Abong bag-ong titles sa Book Sale makaron haha. Nakabakae ako kahapon it sci-fi/mystery anthology (Kage Baker, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, etc) -- barato, P45 lang! XP

Monique said...

You should let people in Manila know when you're flying out so we can all join you in shopping for books to take home, haha! ;)

Anonymous said...

Chris: Many of the trade paperback at Booksale can cost up to P145, unfortunately. Sometimes I see books I like that are P45-65 but there's a lot of digging required.

dementedchris said...

@Monique
Hahaha! I can just imagine a bunch of us walking through a place like Fully Booked High Street each with our own shopping carts. How cool (and fun) would that be?

@Fanarchist
I noticed that most of the newer trade paperbacks here cost P145.
I honestly thought that those were just their provincial prices! :P

Celina said...

Hey Chris, sorry for the late reply. The latest book you got is The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.:)

If ever there are books you want from Fully Booked or wherever, I can always get them for you and just ship through 2GO. They just charge P80 for books, up to 4kg already.:)

dementedchris said...

Ayun! I was really trying to remember -- all I knew was that it was HB. :P Thanks for the offer, Cel! I'll be sure to take you up on it haha.

Narj said...

hey chris! im sorry for calling u a dude...my mistake(headscratch)! but u know what, living in our province is not hard for a reader 'coz boracay is just 1-2 rides away! =P

dementedchris said...

Haha, no worries, Narj! Was just at Royal yesterday -- I remembered you when I saw the books there. :P